Yes, that Nomad dress really was too short after I removed the frill. After a couple of false starts, buying not quite right dresses, in charity shops. I retrieved the nice bit of cotton jersey from the cupboard and simplified a great little pattern:
I made a dress from the pattern in this fabric a few years ago, at that time it turned out too big for me and I swapped it at a Swishing event. There wasn’t enough fabric left to make it with the separate skirt, so I simplified the pattern losing the waist darts and joining the skirt. This messed with the hem line, so I had to recruit help to mark a line, measured up from the floor, while I was wearing the dress.
Here is the finished dress with belt made from dress fabric and belt from cardigan
at last a dress in my wardrobe!